I often have customers tell me they have bought worm castings from a retail nursery and not really noticed any improvement from the application. There is a good reason or two for that. 1) If castings are dried and sealed in a clear, airtight container–there is no chance for beneficial soil microbes to be alive. 2) Often, the retail castings are produced from straight peat moss. Peat moss harvesting is destructive to the habitats they come from. Peat is also known to be antimicrobial, which defeats the soil microbe building purpose of worm castings. The reason the producers use Peat Moss? It looks a lot like worm castings, so that when screened, the customer doesn’t know the difference and just believes it is all a uniform product. I call it the McDonald’s effect–the urge for consistency, even if it is an inferior product.
Our castings may not look entirely uniform. We do screen at a 1/8 inch size screening, so the vast majority of the material will be straight castings. Any other material is great food for the living microbes in the castings to continue feeding on and activating your soil with. I love picking up and holding our freshly harvested castings. It almost feels like a high dollar spa treatment in your hands–cool, earthy, moist and smelling of forest floor. We harvest weekly to get our customers the freshest castings possible. Our castings are packaged in breathable bags to maintain microbe life. We also sell in bulk, and maintain that same level of quality whether you buy 2 lbs or 2,000.
Why buy Texas Worm Ranch Castings?
- Unlike other casting producers, our worms are never fed peat moss (an unsustainable and antimicrobial food source) or just one food source of any kind.
- We custom feed a diverse mix of natural vegetative waste to produce a premium standard of abundant biomass of beneficial soil organisms and nutrients.
- We use our castings in our own organic yard and tree treatments and vegetable production. We require the highest quality for our purposes, and pass that quality on for our customers’ success.
- Our castings are harvested weekly and kept moist and alive to ensure you get the highest quality and mass of biological life when applied to your property.
- We monitor by microscope for diverse and abundant beneficial microbes and will soon have test results from a SoilFoodWeb and Dr. Elaine Ingram approved laboratory for diversity and mass of soil biology and nutrient cycling potential.
Our Goal is to ensure that our castings are the premium standard for the industry, in both nutrient value and soil biology. Texas Worm Ranch commits to quality and our mission is to:
Reduce the local waste stream
Create beautiful and safe landscapes, gardens, and farms
Promote the use and enjoyment of local, sustainable and organic agriculture
We appreciate your support of this mission and sincerely appreciate your business.